Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Project 365

One of my goals for 2011 is to use my blog to inspire others to tell their stories through scrapbooking and photography. I could talk about digital scrapbooking all day long. My hope is that these posts inspire, educate and encourage you to document your journey.


I am all about documentation and in all honesty it has become an obsession of mine. I think it is partly because I lost my mom so early in life. I was 21 years old. I was in college. There were so many things that I didn't bother to ask her about that I really wish I would have. Things that were not important at the time but now I would love to know more about...her life growing up...her parents...her grandparents...my childhood...her pregnancies...the list goes on. My passion for preserving as many details about our family life is alive and strong. When I am no longer here, I want my children to be able to look through books and find the details about all of our lives. It is a journey that I have been on for a long time and I find it SO incredibly fulfilling. We have scrapbooks upon scrapbooks at our house both traditional and digital. My husband once joked with me and said "nobody is going to want to marry our kids because they come with so much baggage in terms of scrapbooks (probably the other kind of baggage as well with us as parents) and they will need to have another room in their house just to store them". I think he might be right. It is what it is, I guess.


This year I embarked on Project 365. I took a photo each day and did a page each week with these photos. This book isn't about the highlights of the year...it is about the little details that make up our family life each and every day of 2010. It contains things that I might have forgotten if I didn't write them down. I know that in years to come, this book is going to be one of my favorites...it isn't anything spectacular to look at but it contains the details of our lives...and the saying goes "life is in the details".


I think in a lot of instances, people are intimidated by the whole idea of recording and documenting because it seems like something that would take a lot of time. It really doesn't have to though. I will admit that I was nervous about this project headed into it as well. I knew that if I wanted to keep up with it, I needed to make it simple. I created a basic page using products from Designer Digitals, I took a photo each day and at the end of the week, I plugged the photos in and descriptions and that was it. It took me about 25 minutes each week total. You can easily break the project down into something simple. I will again use a template this year. I'm leaning towards a template series by Anna Aspnes at Designer Digitals but haven't quite narrowed it down yet. This was the format for my individual pages...
It was so fun to see the book come together at the end of the year. This is the finished product. I just ordered it from Shutterfly and it should be here in a few days.Here is the link, if you would like to take a peek at it.
2010 Project 365


I hope you are having a wonderful day. Thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment