Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Evolution of Scrapbooking Style

Today I was thinking about my journey as a scrapbooker and how my style has evolved. I started scrapbooking in college and it has been such a fabulous hobby for me. I scrapbooked with traditional paper up until about 3 years ago. There are certainly things that have changed over the last twenty years (yikes...twenty years) but I have always, always found so much joy and fulfillment when I sit down to create.


It was at the end of June 2009, that I found the courage to upload my very first layout to Designer Digitals. I thank God for giving me that courage because it has been a tremendous blessing in my life. I have developed so many wonderful friendships and found incredible support and inspiration from our community.



I thought it would be fun to take a little stroll down memory lane to see how my style has evolved over the last five years. I selected pages that I created in the summer of each year. Please forgive the quality of the paper image photos.



June 2007. I was obviously a paper scrapper who ALWAYS did two page layouts. I liked solid cardstock and only a few embellishments.










July 2008. I was still creating only two page spreads. I would say this is a hybrid project because I printed the title on paper and cut them into strips. The photo block on the left was also created in Elements and printed as one image. I was still loving the solid cardstock but added a little patterned paper.






June 2009. Here is the very first layout that I ever posted online at Designer Digitals. I didn't sleep that night. I was so nervous. I am still doing all two page spreads and haven't yet discovered the beauty of digital products. I did a little blending here and attempted some reflective titlework. I am adding this page to the "redo" list!




June 2010. I have now discovered the beauty and fun that coincide with digital products. I have switched to mostly one page layouts because there is so much more versatility with them.





June 2011. I don't know that my style has evolved much over the last year. I still like to use solid colors, blended photos and a few embellishments.






All products are from Designer Digitals.




I look at my pages from earlier and I just cringe but just like life....scrapbooking is about growth. The important fact is that I have these memories recorded and years down the road if I have more time, I can always redo the pages. I encourage you to go back in your pages and look at the layouts that you created from previous years. It is fun to relive those memories and to see how you have changed as a scrapbooker.






Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting journey, Jana! I think we have had very similar journeys but I did some very awful things with patterned paper back in 2006/7. Your first page is an absolute GEM!! Don't you dare redo it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh Jana, how come I didn't know you had a blog, I've only just seen it linked in your signature. Gaaah! How exciting having another blog to follow. And girlfriend, if that was your very first page, OMG, it's amazing. My very first page I shadowed as if it was sitting 20 inches off the page, ROFL.

    Off to read more! :-)

    ReplyDelete