Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Coloring a Title

It has been awhile since I have done a tutorial so I thought it would be fun to share one with you today.  I recently created this page about a sweet conversation that I had with my son.  You will notice that the title at the bottom of the page has some color variation in it which is really simple and adds a bit of pop to the title.



I brought this new word art by Cathy Zielske into Photoshop.  It was of course black so I recolored it to a soft yellow.  I activated my color palette and selected my color so that it was in the foreground of my color palette.  

Then I activated the marching ants around the title by left clicking with the mouse + Command (Mac)/ Control (PC).  I had yellow in the foreground color so I used the hot keys and hit Opt (Mac)/ Alt (PC) + Backspace to change the color to yellow.


I positioned the title accordingly on my page.  I then wanted to add a little bit more color to the title.  Once again, I made sure the title layer was active in the layers palette and activated the marching ants by left clicking with the mouse and hitting Command (Mac)/ Control (PC).  I changed my color palette to a dark orange for the foreground color.  I created a new layer above the title by hitting the new layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette.  I selected a soft brush and painted portions of the title on the new layer above my original title.  The marching ants determined my perimeters so I didn't need to worry about coloring outside the lines.  I like the fact that it is a quick way to add some interest to word art.  Here is what it looked like in the end.


This word art is by Cathy Zielske and it is called "Typesets HelviRound 1".  It will be available this weekend at Designer Digitals.

Next time you use word art for a title, I hope you try out this technique.  It is simple and fun....I like that in a title!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with us Jan! I've been watching your colouring tutorial in Generations and it looks so fun! LOVE this story that you shared...I wish I had written more of these conversations down when mine were little! What a precious memory...I think "shirts are good for diggers too"! What a cutie pie and a deep thinker!

    ReplyDelete